Sunday, March 20, 2016

(#2) Spring in Italy: Spring Break 2016

This video was made by me and is about my Spring Break in Italy.
(Note: I do not own the rights to Chocolate by the 1975.)

While reading an article on the train during our week of traveling, I read a word that caught my attention and has stuck with me since: Wanderlust. Wanderlust, according to Merriam-Webster’s reliable (and seemingly always quoted) dictionary, is defined as “a strong desire to travel.” I never knew there was a word for such a powerful feeling. “The travel bug” is what I always referred to it as. But it makes so much sense.

...............

The top of the Duomo in Florence.
For the entirety of the ten days I had for Spring break, I embarked on one of the biggest adventures of my life: seeing twelve different cities in Northern Italy. To be honest, I wasn’t sure just how much traveling would go into this trip. The thousands of counted steps and endless train rides were worth all the tired days and nights (though my lower body would strongly disagree), as we traveled through a country whose vibrant green beauty seems yet to be appreciated. To shed some light on just how much traveling my friends and I got ourselves into, here’s a list of the cities we were so blessed to see:

            -Bergamo
            *(Train transfer in Milan)*
            -Genoa
            -La Spezia
            -Riomaggiore
            -Vernazza
            *(Train transfer in Pisa)*
            -Florence
            -San Gimignamo
            -Chianti Wine Region
            -Siena
            -Monteriggioni
            -Venice
            -Bologna

Twelve. Twelve cities. And in between the spaces of the list above are hundreds of kilometers of traveling, countless hours spent on regional and private trains, and an overwhelming amount of stress. But despite our complex schedule, the stories we can bring back and tell friends and family will travel so much farther with us down the road.

Florence.
One thing I’ve noticed about Europe in general is how drastically the scenery changes in such a short distance. Each city, though only a short train ride away, provide its own unique character or persona. No two cities were akin to the other. The flavors changed. The people changed. The adventures changed. And we had to change along with it.


Chianti wine Region.
Genoa provided some of the best pesto sauce in the entire world and is where I met the newest love of my life: Focaccia (an Italian cheese bread). Florence, where the pesto definitely not like Genoa’s, was a historical powerhouse unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The house, cliffs, and quiet landscape of the Cinque Terre region (Riomaggiore and Vernazza) were perhaps among the most beautiful things these adventurous eyes will ever see.

Wine tasting in the hills of the Chianti wine region with the Italian sun hanging high and dry behind blue skies and green pastures is one of the coolest things that I can say that I have done. I feel so blessed to have been able to go on such an amazing adventure and see the things I have seen.



Monteriggioni 
Wanderlust. It’s a guilty, irresistible temptation in the best way imaginable. A burning passion and desire to want to see the world in all it’s glory. To stop sitting on one’s ass and find oneself out of his or her comfort zone. To find something unexpected, confront a challenge, or face a path that seems uncertain, and just say “**** it, why not?” That’s what this trip has taught me. Because, honestly, saying “why not?” and doing the things you never could have imagine you would do can take you to some of the most exciting places and experiences in your lifetime.


Wanderlust took me to twelve gorgeous cities in Northern Italy for Spring break, and with that, I’ve had the time of my life.


'TIl our roads meet,
Christian Camacho
The Traveling 'Nole

No comments:

Post a Comment