Sunday, March 27, 2016

(#5) 19: Birthday Abroad

In recent years, my feelings about birthdays have been up in the air. On one hand, it's just another day of the year, and you're one year older; who says you need only one day out of the year to celebrate your life? But on the other hand, it's the celebration of an entire completed year of life with friends and family. 

This year's birthday was going to be something interesting: my first time celebrating away from home. In my family, everything is done together: Christmas, birthdays, New Year's, Fourth of July, you name it. So to spend the day without my family was going to be something new. In the days leading up to my birthday, I made sure not to make a big deal about it. I'm not one to go around and provide a weekly reminder that my birthday is approaching. No pre-made plans were set in place, and I waited to see what the day would bring.

I was sitting at my desk on the night before my birthday, exploring the world of Facebook when I looked at the time. It was eleven-fifty pm. With the start of the ten-minute countdown, I had a thought: do I really want to remember the midnight-start of my nineteenth birthday in Valencia, Spain as the night that I sat at my computer, doing absolutely nothing? Hell no. I thought about what I would want to be doing, and without hesitation, I picked up my guitar and ran out of my room. I crossed the street right front of the Torres, and ran to the first opening in the bridge. Eleven-fifty eight. My fingers warmed up. 

Midnight. 

Immediately, I began singing the original I had written about Los Angeles. I sang to the beautiful, Spanish full moon and to the city of Valencia. (This is the stuff of fairytales, man.) As soon as I finished, I heard clapping right behind me. A woman had pulled her bike over to stop and listen to me. I was slightly embarrassed but thanked her anyway. We talked for a bit, before she asked me to walk with her. I paused to think. This is a stranger asking me to walk with her in the middle of the night in Spain after listening to my song...

... Why not? 

We walked through the various plazas in the Carmen district of Valencia. I stopped in various places to play a song, and continued walking. We passed the group of homeless drunk men playing guitar who invited me to play guitar with them...

... Why not?

All of us danced and sang to "La Bamba" and "Come Together." We continued walking until we passed my favorite Irish Pub. She invited me in for a drink for my birthday...

... Why not? 

We talked for at least another half an hour before I realized what time it was. One-thirty. The time had flown by. We walked back to the Torres, where she would pick up her bike and we'd say goodbye. When we arrived, she requested one more song...

... Why not?

After my final song, we said our goodbyes and said that we'd hang out again soon. I'll never forget the amazing start to my nineteenth birthday. 

The day time did not disappoint either. I spent the remainder of the day with my friends. Elizabeth took me to Costa Coffee. Jericho hooked me up with a great haircut. I went to mass for Holy Thursday. Fed the hungry. And the night ended with Colombian food and Poker with the gang. My nineteenth was definitely a night to remember. And just when I thought my birthdays couldn't be just as good as the ones back home...

... Why not?

'Til our roads meet,
Christian Camacho
The Traveling 'Nole

P.S. Thank you to Nahee and Sammy C. for the amazing cake and the wine! 
P.P.S. Thank you to everyone for their birthday wishes!
P.P.P.S. Thank you to Annachiara for a great start to my birthday!

1 comment:

  1. No that's an experience you'll never forget! That is priceless! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete