Monday, April 18, 2016

(#10) A World of Opportunity: Gracias, Valencia


To people around the world America is known as the "Land of Opportunity." Many Europeans, Spaniards in particular, leave their country after receiving their diplomas from university to pursue a career in America, because of the poor economic situations in their country. And while this is generally true for the outsiders looking in, I have to say that the experience has been much different for me. As only a Freshman undergrad, of course, I can't speak based on too much back home. However, my experiences here in Valencia and traveling around the world have led me to believe that anybody can make their own opportunities.

In life, opportunities, at least the really good ones, have to be made, not served to you on a silver platter. And I feel like that's where a lot of Americans get lost in the dying American Dream. We're not all born with the privilege to get into university, receive a higher education, support families, and get a second chance if we screw up. It's up to us to seize the little opportunities or create new ones for ourselves and others in the future. This idea didn't just come to me in the middle of the night. It's something that is learned. And I am very fortunate and thankful to say that I've had honor of being taught by the city of Valencia.

With that, I'd like to share with you, my faithful readers, about my personal tips to Carpe Diem. (What? Did you think I'd forget to make a Dead Poets Society reference?):

1. Think in "why not's?"
To do things you never thought you would do and learn new things from new experiences is to travel successfully. But how often will we allow ourselves to do that. My advice is that when you're conflicted with whether or not to do something–be it because of financial pressures, safety, or a feeling of uncomfortableness– examine your confidence, take in a deep, deep breath, and let out a big "why the hell not?"

During one of the TED talks I heard, the speaker said that people grow in times of uncomfortableness. If we grow complacent, we never grow as people and as allow ourselves to stay underdeveloped. Another speaker said that imperfection is the new perfect. While his context might have been tailored to food (as he was a chef), I tailor my interpretation to opportunities. The "perfect" moment is never going to come, unless you create that moment. Take each step in a new place with the idea that your trail is one that you are creating for yourself, and not for anyone else. And if some one asks you why you're doing it the way you're doing it. Turn to them and kindly say:

... Why not?


2. Let Wanderlust get the best of you and go where you please.

I think we’re all born with it. It took a brochure in the mail about a study abroad program at Florida State to tap into mine. Wanderlust brought me to over twenty different cities in seven different countries. It has brought me choose to attend university on the East Coast in Tallahassee, Florida in the Fall. And it brought me to Valencia, Spain, a city that forever holds a special place in my heart, right next to the people and the memories we’ve made. 








3. Last, but not least, don't forget to stop and look around once in a while.

Ferris Bueller said it best: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Some people travel to the most beautiful places on Earth and all they can think about is the long day that they've had, all the money that they've spent, and how "this is nice, but too bad I'm leaving it anyway." Yes, life and traveling are fleeting things. But it's important to take a moment realize that we only get these moments once in our lifetimes. Stop. Slow down time, even for that one moment. Breathe it all in. And never let it leave your memory.

Traveling can be such a beautiful thing when it's done in an appreciative way. Especially when you know that you're the one in control of your own journey. So once you've done the things you never imagined you would have, once you've gone to the places you've always wanted to go to, and once you've kept them forever in your heart and soul, then you've made it down the road less traveled by. Thank you, Valencia.

'Til our roads meet,
Christian Camacho
The Traveling 'Nole

No comments:

Post a Comment