Monday, April 18, 2016

(#8) Radio City: Where It All Begins




When a hush falls on the crowd, the burn from the celestial stage lights sets in, and the adrenaline pumps through my veins, that's when I know that performing music is what I was born to do. I came to Valencia with a travel-sized Mitchell guitar. It's not the best of guitars, especially when performing to an audience, but it allows me to do what I love to do most in this world, and for that reason, it's all that I need.


If there's one regret I have about my time here in Valencia, it's that I didn't take advantage of the music opportunities around the city. If I had an excuse, I'd attribute it to the fact that school comes first and I spent my extra time with friends and exploring the city. Playing guitar was a bedroom activity. Jam sessions would take place in the apartments of different friends, and we'd sing the night away. However, it never really left the four walls of the FSU study center.


I remember hearing about this open mic at a bar called Radio City last semester. (Sarcasm alert!) Of course, the name reminded me of this small theater/performance area in New York City, so it peaked my interest. However, I fell into the trap of extended stay-complacency. The typical case of I-have-all-semester-to-do-it-I'll-get-to-it-later-itis struck me hard. (Same goes with climbing the Torres de Serrano right outside our door, but that's another story–yes, I've done that too by now.) But as the old saying goes, "but late than never, amirite?"

With the approaching end of the program, I started to look at my bucket list of things to do here in Valencia. And sure enough, performing music somewhere was at the top of that list. I remembered Radio City, and after some encouragement from friend, I decided to test the Spanish waters. And damn, it was one of the greatest experiences ever.


I remember arriving to venue right at 11:25 pm, 5 minutes before the show was supposed to start. There, my friend Annachiara was waiting for me. I approached a man who seemed to be in charge of organizing the open mic. He told me his name was Karlos. His presence smelled like alcohol and sweat, but his way of speaking was very show business-like. I felt like I was living my own version of Rock of Ages. Except I made sure to let him know that I was feeling pretty anxious beforehand. He was badgered with questions about how many songs should be played, whether or not the performance was recorded, and when I should go up. In the same way, I was badgering myself with questions: what do I say? Should I speak in Spanish? Is my zipper undone? (Nope, I made myself look.)

Before I had much time to think, I heard Karlos come on the mic. 

"This is perhaps the most international open mic in all of Valencia. Our next performer comes from across the Atlantic Ocean, and even across the United States. All the way from California, a round of applause for Christian Camacho!"


Normally, one's stomach would drop at that sentence. To be faced with the fact that it was time to confront a whole new audience in a whole new country would be difficult to most. But for some reason, it had no affect on me. That's the beauty of having a lot of performance experience before.

When I heard my name, the adrenaline kicked in. Intuition took over me. I knew exactly what I had to do. Never mind the language barrier. I'll speak whatever comes out first (which happened to be Spanish, y lo maté! and I killed it!) My heart raced with joy and familiarity. I jumped on stage, smiling from cheek to cheek before I strummed a single note and I ascended to cloud nine. 

After my first song, Karlos looked at me and approached me saying, "would you like to play a guitar that's as beautiful as your voice? You don't need to be playing that little toy." (I kid you not, that's what he said.) I have to admit the tinsel-sound of my acoustic was rather, tiny. Normally, I would have defended my guitar, but my adrenaline was high and was directed towards the stage. So I agreed. The remaining songs sounded amazing, and the energy from the crowd was fantastic. When I walked off stage, I was greeted with handshakes and high fives from audience members. One man even came up to me and offered me his business card for an online European Talent agency. It was a surreal moment.

I couldn't believe that I had done it. And couldn't be happier that I was able to live my dream, even for a moment, in Spain.

'Til our roads meet,
Christian Camacho
The Traveling 'Nole

No comments:

Post a Comment